Team Pro Physique Member SpotlightMette Mikkelsen - Norwegian Princess | Passionate Equestrian | Language Dominator
by Team Pro Physique / Thursday, July 24, 2014 / Download PDF
- What was the last experience you witness or participated in that made you a stronger person? In what ways did that event change your life?
- I think one of the last experiences which really influenced me was more or less the whole of 2013. I went through a bad breakup, didn't get into school, had a hard time finding a job - and I began to pursue powerlifting. From then on everything changed, and I have honestly never been happier than I am now. I feel like I'm finally able to direct all my passion into something that pays off, and something that truly allows me to be myself. The last year made me better at appreciating what I have, it made me braver and I think I'm gradually getting better at claiming my space.
- What is you 1, 3, and 5 year plan?
- In a few weeks I'm finally starting my university education, so in 5-6 years I will be a veterinary (finally!). I hope to be able to work with horses, particularly within the field of training related injuries in showjumpers and dressage horses. Regarding my own training I'm going to qualify for the EPF classic championship within the next year, and in three years I would like to qualify for the IPF classic world championship. I also have a goal to get on the national powerlifting team here in Norway, but that depends solely on my equipped results. During the next five years I also hope to spend a lot of time with my amazing boyfriend - he makes me a better person every day. To top it off I hope to finally buy my own horse again - I miss the daily training every waking hour.
- Sweet or Salty? What are some of the foods you can't live without?
- Pizza! Pancakes. Chocolate. Meat. Whiskey. Red wine. Bread. Cheese. I love them all.
- We all know diamonds are a girls best friend…unless of course that girl lifts! What’s your gym essential and why?
- My gym essentials are my Vibram fivefingers, my Adidas Adipower, my SBD knee sleeves, Inzer wrist wraps, and Titan belt. I also have a love-hate relationship with my rumble roller and my rubber ball. And let's not forget all the amazing athletes in the powerlifting community here in Norway; they make one hell of a training environment!
- If you could spend the day with a famous person, who would it be, what questions would you ask and what would you do?
- Hah, this is a though one. When it all comes down to it, I think this would be one of the international showjumpers I've admired since childhood. Probably Rodrigo Pessoa, as he is one of the best riders that has ever lived and a truly inspiring athlete. I would ask him EVERYTHING, and hopefully we would spend the whole day in the stable trying to teach me as much as possible.
- What is your favorite lift/exercise to do in the gym and are you a fan of cardio?
- I love squats! Like, seriously. It's by far my weakest lift, but I love every repetition. I'm also quite found of bench press, obviously much because I'm good at it. Former favorites was pullups and dips, which I learned pretty quickly as a newbie. I basically hate cardio, but I'm quite fond of taking my bike for a ride out in the woods. I enjoy a sprint once in a while, but cardio was never my thing.
- If you had to listen to 3 songs for the rest of your life, they would be?
- The Offspring - "Self Esteem"
- The Gaslight Anthem - "Too Much Blood"
- Jay-Z - "99 Problems"